Monday, October 4, 2010

Sequined


Photo Identification- "Epiphany of c. 1995: Costumes are Designed Objects"
by Tracey Lindsay Chan
2007 

The represented epiphany above occurred in Chinatown, San Francisco.  Though I had been wearing these types of costumes since the age of three, not only till a few years later did I recognize them as designed objects. I mark this event as one of my earliest and most positive experiences with the impact of design.

Prior to my realization, I was aware that the costumes were shiny, intricate, stunning, and possessed transformational qualities as I wore them while performing.  When I began to think of the costume's functional qualities in addition to its aesthetic qualities, I began to understand what elements contributed to its good design.

The costume was comfortable. The satin felt cool on the skin, which I was especially grateful for while under the lights which hotly illuminated the stage.  The costume top slid easily onto my arms, an essential component for quick changing from a monkey to a maiden of ancient China.  The pants were loose, like pajamas, yet looked classy and appropriate due to the sequined hems and fabric choice.

Kostas Terzidis wrote that "design is about something we once had, but have no longer".  The costumes are almost fantastical as they are used to refer back to a time period long gone.  They are not pieces that people would wear today, due to its appearance and limited accessibility.  Because of this, they demand stares of awe and happiness as the costumes are something special and rare.  They are blinding spectacles that are enjoyable to look at.  It takes the starers to a place that is inaccessible in the real world.  Because of this, the costumes possess transformational qualities for the wearer.  After all, which well designed costumes don't?

I relate costume design to clothing design.  Successful clothing design should empower the wearer and make them feel good about themselves.  These costumes empowered me since a young age and I thoroughly appreciate the impact these well-designed costumes have had on me and on my attitude towards design.  Good design melds aesthetics and functionality seamlessly. So not only are these costumes beautiful to observe, they serve a practical purpose and capture the elusive essence of ancient China.  

No comments:

Post a Comment